Cleaning your office is essential for employee health and productivity, and the microwave in your kitchen or break room is no different.
Throughout the workday, many surfaces are touched countless times. This is especially true for items in heavy traffic areas like the break room and kitchen. A microwave is an appliance used by multiple people every day and can harbor many harmful germs if it is not properly cleaned. While the kitchen is arguably the busiest place in your office, it, unfortunately, is often overlooked and doesn’t receive the clean-up attention it needs.
Below you’ll find some tips to get the inside and outside of your microwave sparkly clean.
3 Ways You Should Be Cleaning Your Office Microwave
There are many ways you can clean your office microwave, but here are three of our favorite ways to clean it without using harsh chemicals:
Option #1 — The Vinegar and Hot Water Method
- In a microwave-safe glass bowl, pour equal parts of hot water and vinegar; depending on the size of your bowl, typically, one to two cups of each is sufficient.
- Put the bowl into the microwave and turn it on for five minutes. If the mixture isn’t boiling yet, give it another one to five minutes until it boils.
- After the mixture reaches a boil, let the water stay in the closed microwave for a couple of minutes.
- Using oven mitts or a towel, carefully remove the bowl from the appliance.
- With a clean, wet microfiber cloth, wipe the inside clean. The dried-on food and splatters should wipe away easily. If they don’t, repeat all of these steps.
- Clean the outside of the unit clean with a clean, warm microfiber cloth to wipe away smudges, food, and fingerprints.
Option #2 — The Lemon Juice and Hot Water Method
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water, add a 1/4 cup of lemon juice, or squeeze half of a lemon into your water.
- Put the bowl into the microwave and heat until it begins to boil.
- Let it stand for several minutes, and carefully remove the bowl.
- Wipe the inside and outside of the microwave until it is clean. Repeat if necessary.
Option 3# — The Baking Soda and Hot Water Method
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add water until it is halfway full and mix in two to three tablespoons of baking soda.
- Place the bowl into the appliance and run it for several minutes until it starts boiling and steaming.
- Carefully remove your heatproof dish from the microwave.
- Wipe clean the inside and outside. Repeat these steps if needed.
Cleaning the Outside of Your Office Microwave
Cleaning the outside of the microwave is just as important as cleaning the inside. Don’t forget to wipe the exterior buttons and handle. You may want to use rubbing alcohol packets or another sanitizing cleaner to reduce germs and other pathogens from the microwave surfaces. Use a clean microfiber cloth to dry the surface immediately.
Contact Town & Country Office Cleaning Today!
Cleaning your office microwave and other appliances is essential to keep your employees healthy. Keep your office functioning effectively and efficiently and let the professionals at Town & Country Office Cleaning get your workspace, break room, kitchen, and restroom facilities clean. Our trusted and skilled team provides cleaning when you need it most. We offer daily, weekly, monthly, and annual cleaning services for your Salt Lake City, Utah, office. Contact us for all of your office cleaning and janitorial needs now.